Since the beginning of time, the human body has evolved around a food source that has always been supplied by nature, in the form of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and animals.
Technically a fruit is any real food, which contains seeds. This would include such foods as cucumbers, green/red sweet peppers, tomatoes, avocadoes, squash, etc. These are foods that man’s entire anatomical and physiological make up is designed best to handle. For example, fruits are 90% efficient to a human body, meaning, if there are 100 calories in a banana, it only takes 10 of the calories to digest and process that food. The other 90 calories are for usable, life maintaining energy. The primary reason we eat food is for glucose—our main energy supply. Fruits are high in sugar.
Nuts contain fat, but are primarily protein, although a vegetable source protein. It is easier for the body to digest and assimilate this type of protein compared to animal source proteins.
Vegetables are also a positive energy food, but not quite as efficient as fruit. It takes roughly 90% of the calories from the vegetable to digest and process it, leaving only 10% of the calories for usable energy. All other foods are negative energy foods for they take more energy to digest and process than they give in return. This is not to say we cannot utilize some of the nutrients in them. We do, but at a price.
If we were really healthy and had optimal digestion, lived in a stress-free environment, and consumed foods of superior quality, all of our nutritional needs would easily be met. Since all of the above are not true in today’s society, it is wise to add whole food supplements.
As far as protein is concerned most Americans consume an excessive amount. You may have heard of a number of people who have lost weight and lowered cholesterol by going on a high protein and fat diet. In most cases this diet change was an improvement over their previous diet (usually one high in processed junk foods). We are not overweight and unhealthy as a nation because of a protein deficiency. We are overweight and unhealthy because of a real food deficiency!!