A Simple Squeeze
Adding a squeeze of lemon to your water does more than improve the taste. It is one of the simplest things you can do to improve your overall health. Here are 12 benefits of making lemon water a daily habit.
1. Lemons are packed with nutrients, including vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. These nutrients are in whole food form which means your body can use them immediately and easily. To learn more about whole food vitamins vs. synthetic vitamins click here.
2. It gives your immune system a boost and helps you deal with stress. The level of vitamin C in your system is one of the first things to drop when you are stressed. That is why you often get sick during or right after stressful times.
3. It is high in potassium which keeps your heart healthy and aids in brain and nerve function.
4. Helps digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract. It can also help relieve symptoms of indigestion (heartburn, burping, bloating) and constipation.
4. Cleanses your body by flushing out toxins, enhancing enzyme function, and stimulating your liver.
5. Freshens your breath. Kills bacteria in your mouth that can cause bad breath.
6. Improves skin appearance. The antioxidants in lemon juice help decrease blemishes and wrinkles.
7. Helps with weight loss. The pectin fiber helps reduce hunger and decreases sugar cravings.
8. Reduces inflammation by decreasing the acidity in your body. Highly acidic environments lead to disease, particularly joint pain and arthritis.
9. Increases your energy and reduces anxiety and depression. Studies show the scent of lemons has a calming effect on your nervous system.
10. Helps reduce (or better yet, eliminate) caffeine dependence. People that have replaced their morning coffee with a cup of hot lemon water feel naturally refreshed. Try it and see for yourself!
11. Helps fight viral infections and is great for sore throats.
12. People who start drinking lemon water invariably drink more water in a day and that is always a good thing. 85% of our population is at least mildly dehydrated which can lead to many health problems.
A few tips when making your lemon water…
If you are slicing the lemons and adding the whole thing to your water make sure to use organic lemons. You don’t want the pesticides polluting your healthy drink! If you prefer to squeeze the lemon into your water, here is an awesome lemon water bottle that I am slightly obsessed with. I have one in every color! 🙂