A Dose of Apple Cider Vinegar a day…
Apple Cider Vinegar is one of those old home remedies that has been around since before your grandmother. It has gained popularity over the last several years as a “magical elixir,” curing everything from warts to cancer. The medical community will tell you that there are no double blind, long term research studies that prove all of these claims. Of course there aren’t. Pharmaceutical companies do research on drugs that will produce large profits. That makes vinegar (a natural, readily available product) as unappealing to them, as its funky taste is to us!
So, are the said benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar worth the pungent smell and sour taste? We think so. Proven or unproven, it does seem to produce some pretty great results. But, you can’t just use any old vinegar. We prefer Bragg’s Certified Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. It is unfiltered, unheated, and unpasteurized. It contains the creepy looking, but very beneficial “Mother of Vinegar,” which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules. It is this “Mother” that contains the living nutrients and friendly bacteria. All of the clear, and definitely prettier, vinegar you see on the shelves has been processed to the nth degree and has very few, if any, health benefits.
Here are some of the proclaimed benefits of ACV:
▪ Rich in potassium, a mineral that is often times lacking in adult diets. This mineral is key for growth, building muscles, transmission of nerve impulses, heart activity etc. It also helps to prevent brittle teeth, hair loss and runny noses.
▪ Rich in acetic acid. This acid is said to slow the digestion of starch which can help to lower the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals. Great for diabetics and pre-diabetics. This is one of the most researched and proven benefits of ACV.
▪ Rich in ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. This aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state. (It is particularly important if you drink a lot of coffee or wine.)
▪ It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol.
▪ Rich in malic acid which gives ACV its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
▪ May help improve bowel irregularity and helps to remove toxins from the body at a faster rate.
▪ It can help clear up skin conditions and blemishes.
▪ ACV helps with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them.
▪ A few lab studies have found that ACV may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth.
The only negative that can be found about Apple Cider Vinegar is that it can damage the enamel on your teeth, IF you drink it straight and undiluted. Believe me, you will not even be tempted to do that! The most recommended daily dosage is 1-2 tablespoons in at least 4-6 ounces of water. If that is still not palatable, you can add a little apple juice or honey to cut the tang and add a little sweetness.